History of Ivins
Ivins City was settled from 1922 to 1926 by settlers descended from Swiss immigrants.
The early settlers were sent to the “Santa Clara Bench”, as the town was then called, to farm using water brought via a canal from the Santa Clara River. Culinary water was obtained from a spring known as the Snow Canyon Springs, located in Snow Canyon State Park and now known as Johnson Arch Spring. Families supported themselves through agricultural crops and grazed cattle on the Pine Valley Mountain and Pinto areas. The first survey of the original town site, completed in the 1920’s, was called the Santa Clara Bench Survey.
The City was named after Anthony W. Ivins, a prominent leader of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, which was the predominate religion practiced by the early settlers. The City slowly grew in population until it was designated a Class 3 City in 1998 by the State of Utah. In 2003, Utah State created new classifications of Cities and Ivins is now classified as a Fifth Class City. Utah State statutes detail the functions to be performed by municipalities.
Ivins City is governed by a Mayor and five City Council Members elected at large for staggered four-year terms. The mayor presides over all meetings but casts no vote in the City Council except in the case of a tie vote. The City Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the City as its Chief Operating Officer. Department heads are full-time employees of the City and are responsible for day-to-day operations within the framework established by the City Council. Department heads report to the City Manager and make monthly written and/or verbal reports to the Mayor and City Council.
Ivins City’s departments include Public Safety, Public Works, Building and Zoning, Parks and Recreation and Administration.