Message From the Chief
Parking always seems to be one of the ordinances people misunderstand or simply choose to ignore. Recently I have received complaints about parked trailers, vehicles blocking sidewalks, or simply old vehicles left on the road.
The Ivins City Ordinances are clear about parking on city streets. I would like to remind those who may have an interest that the ordinance directs the following:
- A vehicle cannot be parked in a manner that blocks free passage of other cars or pedestrians.
- You cannot park a vehicle with the left side of the vehicle next to the curb unless it is a one-way street.
- You must park parallel to the curb. You cannot just pull straight into a cul-de-sac and park at an angle.
- You cannot park a car with a “for sale” sign on any street.
- Semi truck/trailers and commercial vehicles cannot be parked on a public road except to deliver goods.
- Boats, trailers, and travel trailers: If you park one of these on the street they must be attached to a towing vehicle. They cannot be parked on a street standing alone.
- Motor homes and travel trailers: They cannot be parked on a city street without a permit. Residents can obtain a temporary parking permit issued by the city allowing temporary parking. The permit is limited to 30 days per year, not to exceed 10 days in duration per permit. The permit allows temporary parking on a public road that is contiguous to, and in front of, the property owned by the resident making the application for the permit.
- Parking of any vehicle on a city street is limited to 72 hours.
- Whenever a public safety officer finds a vehicle in violation of the parking ordinances, that officer is authorized to have the vehicle towed at the vehicle owner’s expense.
The ordinances are designed for safety and keeping the city clear of unreasonably parked vehicles.
I appreciate the sensitivity that neighbors have when they begin to have parking issues. Many hard feelings can occur over parking that makes living close together difficult. We at the Public Safety Department are tasked with the responsibility of the complaints and protecting the complainant, which we will do.
Do not hesitate to call us if you begin to see a parking issue.